Skip to main content

Violence Against Women.


TW: Rape and Sexual Assault


Why don’t people care about women? The safety of women and the wellbeing of women. Nobody cares. Why do people only care when it’s about the length of our skirts, the amount of make-up we’re wearing, whether we’re “asking for it”, or when it’s too late.


I’m well aware violence against women and girls has always been very present in society but holy shit man. We can’t walk even in broad daylight without the fear of being followed, harassed, and or sexually assaulted. How many women have to experience trauma, abuse, and heartache before enough is enough. People shouldn’t be trying to inject girls with unknown substances with intention to harm because girls/women are trying to have safe nights by covering their drinks.


Unsure if anyone has seen that video of a man following a woman to her apartment in New York and she manages to close and lock the door before he could get in, but he had EIGHTY FUCKING SEVEN priors and was still walking the streets. That’s 13 away from a hundred. EIGHTY SEVEN priors but nobody saw him as a threat. Nobody thought “ahh actually he might do some real harm here”. You actually can’t make this shit up. The safety of women has never been a first thought in the eyes of law enforcement.


There isn’t even any comfort in anything either. You can’t trust that a policeman won’t try to rape and kill you. You can’t trust that an uber driver won’t try and sexually assault you whilst you’re just trying to get home safe, and to top it off the government wants us to simply flag down a bus in a moment of danger. 


I don’t know. All I can say is that I hope things change. I don’t know when but we can hope. We shouldn’t have to be doing anything that makes us uncomfortable for the sake of our own safety.


Please call out your boys that are guilty of the aforementioned behaviour. You are part of the problem. 



I’m so sorry to anyone who has experienced any form of sexual abuse and or assault. I pray that you heal and I pray that you know it wasn’t your fault. Sending love and light.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lockdown 2.0

  Happy first day of lockdown 2.0. This is just a reminder to not let red back pack twitter convince you that you need to have saved 5k by the time this lockdown is over; or have anyone tell you a full face and not going anywhere isn't allowed; or that you need to be doing the most. Shit is about to get so tight for some of us if it isn’t already and I just wanna let you know that you set your own pace and you don’t owe strangers on the internet a thing in the world. I also want to express my forever escalating concern for mental health and the ways in which this second lockdown might contribute to deterioration. You are never alone in the way that you feel, and you are also entitled to feel the way that you do. I know sometimes issues and feelings seem so insignificant because “other people have it worse” but it’s not a competition. A problem is still a problem and your feelings are still your feelings, nobody can ever take that away from you. If you are struggling please co...

It is what it is.

  It is what it is. Shit happens and then you die, but what matters is how you live your live in between. Sometimes shit hurts, sometimes we lose people, sometimes we can smile about the small things in life. It hurts to lose friends, break up with your significant other or coming to terms with things you thought you’d never have to deal with. In some ways what’s most painful is that it’s inevitable; it’s part of growing pains. Eventually we all learn to live without the people we thought we could never live without. We meet new people who make up for the pain we once felt. I try and find lessons in everything that happens to me because as I've learnt in this life, I can't come and kill myself for things I can't change. I know sometimes nature just naturally runs its course and you grow out of doing certain things and or people and eventually God will put new things and new people in place of the past, but it doesn’t mean it’s any less painful or difficult to move on fr...

Boys need love too.

It’s a shame that society has – in some ways – taught us that men can’t show emotion; socialisation has taught men that bottling everything up is essentially the only way to keep it moving, which in turn has led to men and boys finding other, unhealthy forms of therapy.   As I’ve mentioned before, African households are not, (generally speaking), households which are open to conversations surrounding mental health and most definitely not open to conversations surrounding the mental health of black men and boys. From experience and observation, this dismissal of discussion can very often mean that men don’t feel it safe for them to express their feelings towards something or someone without the fear of being judged or criticised for being too ‘sensitive’. I feel as though the Black community are often very quick to dismiss any real conversation about Black men and mental health and a lot of the time I find that incorrect assumptions are made before any progression for conceptualis...